Hirdetés

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• S_x96x_S

őstag

insider view .. AMD history ...

-----

"While we kept plodding on the “pure dual-core”, Intel, still smarting from the x64 defeat just slapped two 1x cores together, did some smart interconnects, & marketed it as “dual core”. Joke at AMD was that Intel’s marketing budget was > our R&D (true fact). Customers ate it up.
    While all this APU work was going on, AMD totally missed the iPhone wave. When we built chips for the PC, world was moving to laptops, when we moved to laptops, they moved to tablets, & when we moved there, world moved to cell phones.

We also missed the GPU wave trying to introduce a fundamentally better but also fundamentally new architecture: APUs (CPU+GPU on same die - we love “same die everything” I guess). CATEGORY CREATION IS HELL but “if you’re going through hell, keep going”. We hesitated and 2008 crisis happened & we were totally caught with our pants down. After that, AMD basically lost the market to pretty much everyone: Intel, ARM, Nvidia. I learned it the hard way how SUPERIOR PRODUCTS LOSE TO SUPERIOR DISTRIBUTION LOCK-INS & GTM.

Even madder props to Lisa Su who now leads AMD. Lot of my engineer friends are still there building world best tech and I can’t imagine what they must have had to go through: multiple heavy layoffs, salary cuts, leadership changes (2 CEO changes b/w 08-11 alone), low morale.

AMD was a “TRIBE”. For so many it was their 1st job out of college in late 80s & they are still there after 30yrs! I guess this is how AMD survived multiple near-deaths & this is also why when it comes to AMD I still say “we” as if I’m still the fanboy I was as a college student!
    "

teljes:
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1285234687267356672.html

Mottó: "A verseny jó!"

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák