Hirdetés

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák

• Sk8erPeter

nagyúr

válasz Sk8erPeter #10668 üzenetére

A Kingston ValueRAM elnevezésről (Google + "why is it called valueram" keresőszavak elég sokat segítettek :D):

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39292

"It is somewhat of a marketing ploy. Memory modules generally must conform to an industry standard specification for size, timing and voltage. As such, they are guaranteed (or should be) to operate correctly when installed in a system with a specific timing scheme (i.e., PC2-5300 DDR2).

In order to add extra "value" to memory, it needs to be tested differently. Memory chips are manufactured on large silicon wafers and then cut up and installed into the familiar packages that you see on the modules. Due to slight processing shifts, some memories may be faster or slower than the "normal" target spec. Kingston, as an example, buys individual memory chips from one or more vendors. Those chips have been tested to meet certain minimum specifications. They could be "faster" or perform better than those specs. I'm assuming (since I don't work for Kingston or know their assembly techniques, but I am in the industry) that for their ValueRAM products, they do not do any special screening to find these "bettter" parts. For their HyperX modules, it appears that they do. That's basically why you can "overclock" those particular modules. Additional testing has been done which identifies those better components. That testing costs money, so module makers pass that onto the consumer. In the case of Kingston, their use of "value" means "lower cost".

So, the short answer to your question is "yes". Performance is usually the difference between "normal" RAM and any "value-added" memory."

rövidebben egy másik hozzászólásból:

"Kingston turns out to be a major customer of ProMOS (parent corporation of the company I work for). They buy tested wafers at a certain price, cut them up, assemble the chips into packages and then attach them to the module. I wasn't aware of that; I thought they bought assembled chips. It's assumed that for parts destined for ValueRAM modules that they get a very minimal check (test) to see if they survived the packaging operation intact. For their HyperX product they must be taking the time to fully test and possibly "speed grade" (sort out the fastest parts). This costs them money and thus the higher selling price for those modules."

További érdekességek a témában, ebben a fórumban:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/185683-12-kingston-valueram-question-again

Itt ezt írja valaki:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/185683-12-kingston-valueram-question-again#t1077916

"The memory that performs very well becomes HyperX and the memory that fails the most tests becomes ValueRAM."

Mindenesetre véleményem szerint eléggé balul sikerült marketingkifejezés minden, amiben "value" van, leginkább a Tesco Value óta. Az embernek automatikusan az jut eszébe, hogy olcsó, necces dolog, pedig a Lecsó gazdaságos kaják között is vannak egész jók. :D

Sk8erPeter

Új hozzászólás Aktív témák